The history of C++ dates back to the 20th century, let us take a quick look at its history:
- C++ was developed by Dr. Bjarne Stroustrup starting in 1979 at AT&T Bell Labs.
- C++ is a statically typed language, i.e. type checking is performed during compile time.
- It is a case-sensitive, free-form programming language that supports procedural and object-oriented programming, which we will learn about later.
- C++ is similar to C, and is relative to C, that means any valid C program is also a valid C++ program.
- C++ runs on a variety of platforms, such as Windows, Mac OS, and the various versions of UNIX.
Uses of C++:
- C++ is easy to understand and thus is preferred by beginners all over the world.
- C++ is being highly used to write device drivers.
- C++ is used by hundreds of thousands of programmers in essentially every application domain.